Wednesday, April 29, 2009

When it Rains

I'm sure you know the rest.

Did I mention the RAIN???!! I'm NOT talking about the wet stuff falling from the sky, though we do have some of that lately. I like that.

I'm being metaphorical.
Right?

Sweet Ally and I were rear-ended on the way to work today. It was a VERY scary thing! Not much damage to our car (actually MIL's car-I have her car while Jason has my car while Jason's truck is in the shop), but MAN, did that hit pack a punch!

I was slowing down ready to make a right turn on a very well known intersection around here (let's just I'm now a new fan of taking 183A down to 1431), and seeing 2 cars coming my way at 60 mph I decide to wait and turn after they had passed.
The car behind me apparently did not anticipate this decision. Or just wasn't paying attention at all.

SMACK! It sounded like a gun went off in the car. And at first I didn't even know what happened. When I did realize what happened, I screamed. Loud. Hit something within reach I'm sure, then went FLYING out the door around to check on Ally. I don't know what happened to the cars that were coming towards me. Thankfully they were either gone or slowed and veered, because I did not even pause to look for traffic. And I was 2 lanes out in the intersection now.
I flew around the car and flung Ally's door open.

And there she was, calm as could be. Not even phased, not upset, worried, crying.
Nothing.
Just calm. It was weird.
She kept asking what was wrong with me.

The other guy came up behind us and asked if we were ok then jumped in my car to move it to the side of the road. He was thinking a little bit clearer than me. I was still standing in the middle of the 60 mph road, clutching my sweet baby girl and crying.

We exchanged info (** a funny note-we found out we live on the same street. I told him to avoid problems in the future why don't we just carpool. Ha!) and I was off to work. I broke down again on the way there and was crying when I pulled in. I felt almost silly. By looking at the little bit of damage on MIL's car, you'd think we got nothing but a small nudge. But I was so shaken up-physically shaking for a loooong time afterwards and again every time I recounted the story.
Someone asked if this was my first wreck. Without pausing, I answered, "The first one since I've had kids." It really takes on a whole different category, you know?

Anyway, one lingering headache and one sore neck and back and we'll be ok. Sweet Ally still fine and still tells me she was not scared. She's my hero! :)

1 comment:

Mollie said...

OMG I'm so sorry. Last thing needed right? I know that adrenaline race that doesn't stop. I get it when someone even appears as though they are going to hit us. It takes a toll for sure. So so glad you are ok!!!